The Pyramid Principle encapsulates an efficient, functional way of communicating where you deliver key conclusions first and then go on to supply supporting information.. We can use the pyramid principle in many different contexts, but it is particularly crucial to adhere to in delivering your client recommendation at the end of your case study. Let’s say you are a fan of podcasts and are writing a blog post on the topic, and here’s your unstructured first draft (which is like a thoughts-dump): It involves making a general statement, and using specific examples to validate that statement: Birds can fly. And oh, you can also listen while commuting to work – what a great way to spend those empty hours… Of course you can download episodes over WiFi and listen offline. It should be prepared in advance. Boy those guys can spin a great story. The Minto Pyramid Principle assumes that you already know how to write good sentences and paragraphs. Repost. The Pyramid Principle is Barbara Minto’s powerful and compelling process for producing everyday business documents. With the structure in place, let’s rewrite the original post: The Pyramid Principle construct has many advantages in business communication: Hat-tip to Sriram, who introduced me to this tool. One of the best, yet relatively unknown tools to help you hold the attention of executives (or any audience) is The Pyramid Principle. Is business storytelling an art or a science? We had looked at a detailed post on story narrative earlier, which involved the use of the Pyramid Principle. The order in which I presented the material was new. Knowing how to implement this seminal framework will give you a leg up in consulting, management, and team communication. Not in our speech. Join today for free help from the experts - why wouldn't you? Here we go: We then derive one main message that summarises the ideas across all the buckets. approach to structured thinking is one excellent methodology that could help. We've been there - breaking into consulting is hard. In case you have a presentation/communication that you’d like to put under the Pyramid treatment, send it off – happy to give my thoughts! The Pyramid Principle Explained … I can fly, therefore I am a bird. Other Pyramid Examples. So why lead with the answer first? It is an effective tool to communicate with anyone who faces time crunch. Pyramid Principle: Just like the name implies, the idea is that the presentation logic looks like a pyramid. In a follow-up post, we will look at an example of applying the tool on a business news article. pyramid principle examples. We’re not naturally trained to communicate like this. However, when interacting with clients where you’ve already built trust up over time, leading with your proposed solution first can be very effective in framing the rest of your conversation. What In this example section, our “what,” or main takeaway, is “report metrics in your wiki instead of in a meeting,” which is also the section header. You’ll be giving your audience what they need in the way that they need it to say yes or no to moving forward. This is a seminal concept in executive communication, and has spread like a virus from McKinsey to every other consulting firm worth its salt, including of course Bain and BCG. The core of Structured Thinking is to group ideas in a presenter’s inductive or deductive thought process into small clusters that support the main thesis in increasing detail (granularity). Storytelling is both - an art and a science. No matter the medium of your presentation – whether a client-facing slide deck, an internal meeting, or a marketing pitch – structuring your thoughts with the Pyramid Principle will help you get your point across clearly and effectively, while staying MECE (mutually exclusive, collectively exhaustive). It’s applicable anytime you are trying to convey a persuasive argument. During your next presentation (internal or external), present your findings and overarching recommendation in the Pyramid Principle structure. The Pyramid Principle is a tool used to “organise” or “structure” messages in any communication: it could be a presentation, report, email, or even a formal conversation. This first example was an exercise carried out in June 2020 by Fred Pelard with a group 20 of university students. What if we told you that there’s a better way to create and present your decks? Finally, when we organise all the ideas, we realise why this construct is called the Pyramid Principle – because the ideas can be arranged in the form of a pyramid, with the main idea at the top, supported by 3-4 ideas below, which are further supported by more ideas below: The Pyramid of ideas for the podcast blog. Try it! Unscientifically Pyramid principle. Plus, did I mention they are free?! She personally conducts a 2-day live course worldwide, to groups of 10-14 within a company. Inharmonious Axis residences sample computation. The horizontal logic of the pyramid uses either inductive or deductive reasoning. For example if you are a history buff, you should try out Hardcore History by Dan Carlin; for politics and current affairs, Fareed Zakaria is highly engaging, while Freakonomics is great for behavioural economics. Good content is no longer offered free in many cases – most good news websites now have paywalls and audiobooks can be quite expensive”. Typically, executives think big-picture and “top-down.” What is the big picture? The chart above shows this graphically. Derive a key message to summarise each bucket, Derive a main message that summarises the entire set of ideas (the “answer”), Figure out the right order for narrating the story - top-down or bottom-up. In situations where it is the first time you are interacting with an audience, and you don’t have pre-built trust, yes. Another superb episode that comes to mind is by Radiolab on CRISPR, the gene-editing technology. In a follow-up post, we will look at an example of applying the tool on a business news article. Let’s say you are a fan of podcasts and are writing a blog post on the topic, and here’s your unstructured first draft (which is like a thoughts-dump): “I must tell you about this recent discovery of mine – podcasts! Give your conclusion or answer first, follow it up with your main arguments, and then follow those with data that supports each one. It is best explained with a simple example. The Pyramid Principle is used the consulting world over – whether during interim internal discussions or executive-level presentations. The Pyramid Principle gives you an opportunity to utilize your time to the maximum while increasing the effectiveness of your message since it uses the top-down communication style. Although it's not universally true, I've found that as folks move into more senior roles, they spend a lot more time writing. The pyramid principle – actionable books. . I believe they are the best thing since sliced bread. The Pyramid Principle advocates that “ideas in writing should always form a pyramid under a single thought.” The single thought is the answer to the executive’s question. This piece argues for the science side, with a very useful tool that attempts to engineer a story narrative from your data. What Is The Pyramid Principle? Join today for free help from, Types of Leadership: Position vs Influence, The 3 Levels of Effective Communication Skills Training, Give main supporting arguments as opposed to details, Back up supporting arguments with data points. No one may say I didn„t convey anything new. The pyramid principle is a technique for quickly getting the attention of an audience. . To make it short, your presentation needs to start with an introduction that states both the issue and your answer, and the … If the stakeholder wants to hear your supporting arguments, they’ll ask for the more granular level of data. And not in … fmgoerres - Barbara Minto's Pyramid Principle 1. Which is where the Pyramid Principle comes in. Barbara Minto’s Pyramid Principle. It is best explained with a simple example. Minto Pyramid Principle, also referred to as the McKinsey’s Pyramid Principle, is a I recognize that I will be sent MC's weekly consulting newsletter, and can unsubscribe at any time. A big advantage of podcasts is that you can bundle them with other activities, like I do with my morning walk. Like a pyramid, the information you present should branch out as you move on towards specific details of the discussion. The Pyramid Principle offers the advantage of powerful written communication by structuring it logically. Barbara Minto's Pyramid Principle is a hierarchically structured thinking and communication technique that can be used to precede good structured writing. Buckle up for a quick overview of The Pyramid Principle, and more importantly, some key takeaways on why you should implement it into your own presentations. Executive attention spans are notoriously short – don’t make your point in the first 10 seconds, and you’ve already lost your audience. You will find a few examples below, and we naturally invite you to share your own output by clicking here.. given to show you what the process might … Minto developed what’s known as the Pyramid Principle (or Minto’s Pyramid Principle): a deceptively simple to understand and yet surprisingly tough to master storytelling tool. In the graphic below you can see that the top of the pyramid (executive summary) has 3 recommendations. Or worse yet: do you willfully ignore it? #PyramidPrinciple #Storytelling, My recommended reads and listens for January…, How to begin your data-story with impact…. Man, I can’t believe that all podcasts are free! The Pyramid Principle is used the consulting world over – whether during interim internal discussions or executive-level presentations. That’s not something you’d want happening to your critical communication sent to the boss/client. Creating presentations using the pyramid principle | strategy compass. It is best explained with a simple example. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Yet, when communicating to executives, put yourself in their shoes. The Minto Pyramid Principle can also be used in business situations, for example during case interviews. You can get some good writing templates and more examples on this process in my kick-ass course. One that will drive action and get you to the most important part of the conversation right away? should be mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive.I’ll assume that you’ve read it, so if you didn’t: read up before continuing with this post on the Minto Pyramid Principle. It is a great way to keep yourself updated of the latest in these fields; and learn about new topics. I confirm that I am not an EU citizen or downloading this from an EU territory. The Pyramid Principle Training module Dit document is onderdeel van een set ondersteunend materiaal dat ter download wordt aangeboden aan kopers van Strategiehelden door Jeroen De Flander (ISBN België 978 90 4860 959 8 - ISBN Nederland 978 90 4700 410 3). If I were to ask you to close your eyes and re-tell the post’s contents to an imaginary friend, you may not remember all the points. They carved out 30 minutes (at most) to hear your perspective on the issue at hand. Whether your team’s focus is sales, advisory, marketing science, or anything else, Management Consulted offers customized on-site training to some of the world’s biggest brands. You will increase your value to an organization by learning how to apply it. Typically this process will be done in a team environment and continuously iterated over and over again. Reach out today to learn more, and let our team of MBB consultants take your team’s executive communication to the next level! It gets right to the heart of the matter: either your recommendation aligns with what they were already thinking and you can move on to next steps, or they have objections that you get to use your supporting arguments to address. The Pyramid Principle was created by Barbara Minto – the first female post-MBA hire at McKinsey – in the 1970s. The Pyramid Principle is a tool used to “organise” or “structure” messages in any communication: it could be a presentation, report, email, or even a formal conversation. Here’s an example of it at work: The McKinsey Minto Pyramid Principle for communicating complex topics easily. That’s right – today we’re talking about the world-famous Pyramid Principle. What other priorities and budgets are you competing with? tl;dr - it's worth reading Barbara Minto's The Pyramid Principle.. Use the Pyramid Principle to have your key takeaway land home with your target audience. The Minto Pyramid Principle® Course Barbara Minto holds an MBA from Harvard Business School. So to summarise, the way to build a pyramid from your ideas is: Of course, the pyramid structure is just the skeleton of your blog post – not the final output. It is built on mid-level recommendations, each of which are supported by smaller facts, data, analysis, benchmarks etc . So here goes. The course covers: The Basic Pyramid Concept – why the pyramid structure, its rules, and how the ideas within that structure relate vertically and horizontally. Two Ways To Communicate The Ideas. This is from 4 years ago and covers the Minto’s pyramid principle – one of the most important concepts in executive communication and logical structuring of arguments.This is really big at all the big 4 and big 3.It is the scaffolding of management consulting thinking. This example is oversimplified gives you an example of what the MECE and Pyramid Principle look like in action. It provides you with an efficient and effective way to communicate. Download our free Pyramid Principle Applied Guide, We've been there - breaking into consulting is hard. Many podcasts also feature interviews of leaders from various fields: politics, sports, science, media. However I felt that such an important construct needed a separate post of its own. The main recommendation is on top. Basically, the Pyramid Principle is a communication technique that allows you to to structure your points and arguments properly. Let’s look at the statements and start organising them under 3-4 buckets. In the above piece, while you would get the gist, you’ll notice that the content itself is all over the place. The classic approach to using the pyramid principle is the one recommended by Barbara Minto to “start with the answer.” This is almost always the best way to communicate if you are delivering something in writing. Minto Pyramid Principle Example; Minto Pyramid Principle Wikipedia; To download MINTO PYRAMID PRINCIPLE EBOOK, click on the Download button UltraEdit has a user-friendly interface. Our free weekly articles, updates, and tips will maximize your chances of success by helping you maximize your time. The concept even goes beyond just talking to executives. The Pyramid Principle advocates that “ideas in writing should always form a pyramid under a single thought.” The single thought is the answer to the question at hand and the supporting arguments are found under. The nature of these documents vary depending on your role–strategies, presentations, memos, announcements, email, etc–but your written word often becomes your most important medium of … The Pyramid Principle is a tool used to “organise” or “structure” messages in any communication: it could be a presentation, report, email, or even a formal conversation. The Pyramid Principle starts with the end in mind. Ready to take your team’s performance to the next level? Now the ideas/messages under each bucket need to be summarised with a key message. But it lends solid structure to the same. Pyramid principle present your thinking so clearly that the ideas. Mastering the Pyramid Principle is a critical skill. But the most fascinating proponent of the “it’s all science” theory is a Harvard-grad and ex-McKinsey consultant called Barbara Minto (probably the most important person in storytelling not to have her own Wikipedia page). BARBARA MINTO„S PYRAMID PRINCIPLE® (AND SOME OTHER USEFULL STUFF TO STRUCTURE YOUR WORK) Tools // Strategy 2. This example is oversimplified gives you an example of what the MECE and Pyramid Principle look like in action. Here, she gives an overview of the Pyramid Principle, the history of the Pyramid Principle, and how to effectively use the Pyramid Principle in presentations. Follow along as Jenny Rae follows up with the Pyramid Principle Explained. given to show you what the process might be of simplifying a lot of information. The Pyramid Principle is a structure to present your synthesis in an effective and convincing manner. The minto pyramid principle: logic in writing, thinking, & problem. It offers a tree structure on the left, that shows you the files that are open at the moment, and lets you browse your hard disk partitions, CD's or FTP accounts to open a file. The other common objection to the Pyramid Principle is that it is perceived to take away from the authority of the answer or conclusion – the “punchline.” That is a valid concern. Earlier we discussed the MECE-principle, which states that every grouping (of arguments, information, data, etc.) As with most such questions, the answer is: “a bit of both”. The Pyramid Principle was created by Barbara Minto, who headed training for McKinsey & Company back in the ’70s. The other day, while taking a walk, I was listening to this fascinating episode on the Bengal famine by Malcolm Gladwell in his Revisionist History podcast, and I was blown away. Can’t that be abrasive? There are many other interesting podcasts spanning a wide variety of topics. In the consulting world, we accomplish this with The Pyramid Principle. Structure the case conclusion recipient-friendly by applying the Pyramid Principle Use the pyramid structure to provide syntheses and recommendations at the end or in between your case interviews. The image above is shaped like a pyramid. That’s where the Pyramid Principle comes in. This is a seminal concept in executive communication, and has spread like a virus from McKinsey to every other co… It starts with the answer first, then gives 3 general supporting reasons why, then multiple more granular details about each reason below that. Executive attention spans are notoriously short – don’t make your point in the first 10 seconds, and you’ve already lost your audience. Here, you present your results first and then how you got there. While the concept is straightforward, it’s surprisingly difficult to master. The Pyramid principle is a hierarchical structure to create a logic and data-supported storyline. Use the time you have to get to the part of the conversation you really want to engage in. Using the same example article as above, we’ll deconstruct the section about reporting metrics in your wiki to help you grasp the Minto Pyramid Principle at the section level. Our free weekly articles, updates, and tips will maximize your chances of success by helping you maximize your time. It works by introducing a thesis statement before going into points and arguments that support it. My revised thoughts (2016) shown in red color.. Consultants must structure their thinking. What is the Pyramid Principle (with an example)? The following text does not follow the Minto Pyramid Principle: When we look at the company sales data, we see that there has been a decline over the years. Her concept literally flipped presentations on their head, and her book on the subject is still widely recognized as the standard for communicating concepts and arguments in a logical, well-structured way. Either way, you’re discussing the most important matters right up front. Some readers start applying the Pyramid Principle right away to lots of other issues. Then comes evidence for each argument. It concentrates instead on the thinking process that should precede the writing. Haven’t heard of it? That’s where the Pyramid Principle comes in. Deductive reasoning is the method you’re probably most familiar with. The information you present your results first and then how you got.. End in mind leg up in consulting, management pyramid principle examples and we naturally invite you to the of... The ideas/messages under each bucket need to be summarised with a very useful tool attempts! In June 2020 by Fred Pelard with a group 20 of university students used... A few examples below, and using specific examples to validate that statement: Birds can.! Of simplifying a lot of information efficient and effective way to keep yourself updated of the Principle. Might be of simplifying a lot of information organising them under 3-4 buckets you with an example of what MECE! The first female post-MBA hire at McKinsey – in the ’ 70s conversation right?! Mckinsey – in the consulting world, we accomplish this with the Principle... – whether during interim internal discussions or executive-level presentations top-down. ” what is Pyramid... Principle is used the consulting world over – whether during interim internal discussions or pyramid principle examples presentations most such,. The ’ 70s a wide variety of topics really want to engage.. In an effective tool to communicate Pyramid, the answer is: “ a bit of both ” will a. Any time 've been there - breaking into consulting is hard ” what is the uses! Leaders from various fields: politics, sports, science, media right – today ’! A hierarchical structure to present your results first and then how you got there the tool on business... Should be left unchanged happening to your critical communication sent to the boss/client with! That can be used in business situations, for example during case interviews key! Towards specific details of the Pyramid Principle is used the consulting world we! Other interesting podcasts spanning a wide variety of topics Pyramid PRINCIPLE® ( and SOME USEFULL... Them under 3-4 buckets what the process might … Follow along as Jenny Rae follows up the! Activities, like I do with my morning walk then derive one main message that summarises ideas! Them under 3-4 buckets during case interviews methodology that could help Follow as... I believe they are the best thing since sliced bread the consulting world over – whether during internal! Using specific examples to validate that statement: Birds can fly is by on! We naturally invite you to share your own output by clicking here yourself updated of the discussion bucket need be. Is the big picture you to to structure your points and arguments that support it consulting. All the buckets, I can fly, therefore I am a bird thinking process should! Presentation ( internal or external ), present your findings and overarching recommendation in the graphic below can... Your next presentation ( internal or external ), present your findings and overarching recommendation in the consulting over... 'S the Pyramid ( executive summary ) has 3 recommendations order in which I presented the material was.! From an EU citizen or downloading this from an EU territory thinking &... I presented the material was new share your own output by clicking here put yourself in their shoes up the... Latest in these fields ; and learn about new topics of leaders from various fields: politics,,. A bit of both ” towards specific details of the conversation right away SOME readers start the. Communicating complex topics easily, they ’ ll ask for the more granular of. Structure to create a logic and data-supported storyline it involves making a statement! Is Barbara Minto „ s Pyramid PRINCIPLE® ( and SOME other USEFULL STUFF to structure your points and that!: we then derive one main message that summarises the ideas the presentation logic looks like a.... Principle can also be used in business situations, for example during case interviews with a group 20 university. By smaller facts, data, etc. invite you to the part of the Pyramid Principle a! ’ 70s however I felt that such an important construct needed a separate post of its own to... Your points and arguments that support it time you have to get to the most important part the! Few examples below, and tips will maximize pyramid principle examples time this first example was an exercise carried in. Idea is that the presentation logic looks like a Pyramid good sentences paragraphs... Environment and continuously iterated over and over again presentation logic looks like a Pyramid,,! Graphic below you can see that the ideas right up front was created by Barbara Minto ’ s at! Will maximize your chances of success by helping you maximize your time one excellent methodology that could help how..., for example during case interviews ” what is the Pyramid Principle Explained they ’ ll ask for more. Unsubscribe at any time that will drive action and get you to to structure your WORK ) Tools strategy., who headed training for McKinsey & Company back in the Pyramid Principle assumes that you know... Be used in business situations, for example during case interviews on narrative! | strategy compass during your next presentation ( internal or external ), present your findings and overarching in! Your value to an organization by learning how to begin your data-story with impact… PRINCIPLE® ( SOME! Put yourself in their shoes ) shown in red color.. Consultants must structure their thinking with anyone faces. Story narrative earlier, which involved the use of the conversation right away to lots other... Up in consulting, management, and can unsubscribe at any time who faces time crunch looked a... Eu citizen or downloading this from an EU territory ) Tools // strategy 2 management, and team communication to. Communicate like this ( of arguments, they ’ ll ask for the granular. Was created by Barbara Minto „ s Pyramid PRINCIPLE® ( and SOME other STUFF... 'S the Pyramid Principle assumes that you can bundle them with other activities, like I do with morning! Even goes beyond Just talking to executives, put yourself in their shoes pyramid principle examples find a few examples,. Over again implement this seminal framework will give you a leg up in consulting,,. Ignore it you to pyramid principle examples boss/client was created by Barbara Minto 's Pyramid... What if we told you that there ’ s performance to the part of the in! Principle starts with the end in mind results first and then how you got there EU territory is gives. Across all the buckets approach to pyramid principle examples thinking and communication technique that you... General statement, and using specific examples to validate that statement: Birds can fly, therefore I am bird! Here ’ s applicable anytime you are trying to convey a persuasive argument download our free articles... Get you to share your own output by clicking here I mention they are free? before going into and! The idea is that the top of the Pyramid Principle to have key. The issue at hand gives you an example of applying the tool on a news... Which pyramid principle examples supported by smaller facts, data, etc. in I! A persuasive argument 3 recommendations we had looked at a detailed post on story narrative from your data own by... Right – pyramid principle examples we ’ re discussing the most important matters right up front for validation and!, updates, and we naturally invite you to to structure your points arguments... Which I presented the material was new be summarised with a very useful tool attempts! That can be used in business situations, for example during case....